man mising in the estuary

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
willorca

man mising in the estuary

Post by willorca »

hello all,
jus saw on the news about the man missing in the estuary, they fear the worst apparently

if there are any friends and family of this man on here, im sorry to hear the bad news, thinking of u

will

mrj1210
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mrj1210 »

thats not good.

was he fishing??

reeldeal
Occasional
Occasional

Post by reeldeal »

apparently he was on his own on a trawler, they have found the boat just by the munitions ship in the estuary, divers going down today, weather permitting, thoughts to all fishermen just doing there job, GOD BLESS THEM ALL.

rozzerman

Post by rozzerman »

The guys name was Colin and he had a wife and a couple of kids.

RIP my man.

b1gash
Occasional
Occasional

Post by b1gash »

RIP

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

how very sad............ my thoughts go out to the ones he leaves behind.

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

"THEY THAT GO DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS" 1623-1923

Memorial to the Gloucester fisherman

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

i'm probably gonna type something that a hell of a lot of people are thinking...

What kind of floatation device was he wearing?? did he wear one? a floatation suit is a trawlermans friend and life saver i would have thought..
if i am wrong and he was wearing some sort of life saving device then we all must start to question the ability of them!!

Sue

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

The question im asking myself is, why was he alone on a trawler. A trawler is not a one man job, and i would have thought any skipper would take at least one other crew member in case of accidents, sudden ill health etc. :-/

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

that was an other question too i was pondering with , the first question i asked a fisher friend on Wednesday eve, and he sauggested that there will be MANY fishermen that go out on thier own ! absolute madness i think so i agree with you manic.. at LEAST one other. i used to go out on a sail boat with friends and he NEVER went out on his own that was a 40 footer too more complicated? who would know?? but never alone

Sue

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

[quote="stroodsue"]i'm probably gonna type something that a hell of a lot of people are thinking...

What kind of floatation device was he wearing?? did he wear one? a floatation suit is a trawlermans friend and life saver i would have thought..
if i am wrong and he was wearing some sort of life saving device then we all must start to question the ability of them!!

Sue[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi sue, floatation suits are no good for hard manual labour, anyone taking a walk on a shingle beach in one will have found that out, a lifejacket will keep you afloat but not warm in the water.
The trawlermen know that if they are fishing singlehanded and they go overboard they will very likely die, its a livelyhood they choose and accept the risks. We stand more chance of dying in a smash on the roads , but does that stop us driving fast ?

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

i didnt mean to start an arguement sorry..
Sue

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

As someone who has "worked the deck" for years

nobody wears flotation gear , gets in the way of a day's work. generally the harder, faster you work the more money you make.it gets in your way.

Also, i grew up on the water, i learned to swim before i could walk. i'll never wear a lifejacket. If that sends me to davy jones so be it.

The one and only reason a permit/boat owner fishes alone and without a sternman is money. Current fisheries regs. make it impossible for a small boat owner/operator to catch enough to pay overhead, employees( the sternman) and make a days pay.