River Crouch...

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
threefields

River Crouch...

Post by threefields »

Hi Everyone,

My question is, what's about in the Crouch at the moment, any particular hot-spots & what bait is everyone using?

It'll be my 1st trip out in 8mths!!! (I know shame on me) but I've got a weekend pass from her indoors and I'm going to take full advantage of it :D

Thanks in advance for any advise/tips/help etc.....

TF.

basstardo

Re: River Crouch...

Post by basstardo »

threefields wrote:Hi Everyone,

My question is, what's about in the Crouch at the moment, any particular hot-spots & what bait is everyone using?

It'll be my 1st trip out in 8mths!!! (I know shame on me) but I've got a weekend pass from her indoors and I'm going to take full advantage of it :D

Thanks in advance for any advise/tips/help etc.....

TF.
South or north bank of the Crouch?

On the South bank Fambridge and Wallasea are popular probably because you can get there by car easily.

Assuming you are after bass and maybe eels you will want to fish crab right on the rocks. If you can't get crab try float fishing with whole king rag right up against the rocks. If you fish rag hard on the bottom the crabs will strip it within minutes. Set the depth so the bait is just clear of the rocks and weed - you will have to experiment with depth. Let the float trot along with the current. If you are going to float fish take a landing net, travel light and cover as much ground as possible.

Not been to the Crouch this year but I have had bass to 5lb on the floet at Fambridge and Wallasea and some big eels as well.

BTW - rain kills the place dead. If it rains go somewhere else.

threefields

Post by threefields »

Hiya, thanks for the responce. I should of mentioned that I live near Burnham on the North side of the Crouch.

Whilst I was picking up some bait yesterday, matey was saying that he's had more luck on the Blackwater, near Steeple, I'll maybe give that ago next week, but for now I want to ease my way back in fishing locally.

If all else fails least I can top my tan-up as the forecast is looking good.

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Good luck mate ;)

maccy

Post by maccy »

I take it no body has had any of those thresher sharks that have been in the river? There's been quite a few anchovie this year and they've followed them in, heard on the big grape vine some gill netter managed to snare one, supposed to of tasted quite good, not only are they wiping out the undersized, they are now getting rid of the over sized.....

threefields

Post by threefields »

Just a quick update from me.... I spent 5hrs (3 before + 2 after) HW on Saturday & Sunday, and blanked on both days! Same again on Wednesday too!

I was up opposite the Roach on the Burnham side of the Crouch. I used Rag/Squid/Mackerel in various combinations.

My tan is looking good, even if my freezer is empty of fish :D

TF.

Sea_panda

Post by Sea_panda »

threefields wrote:Just a quick update from me.... I spent 5hrs (3 before + 2 after) HW on Saturday & Sunday, and blanked on both days! Same again on Wednesday too!

I was up opposite the Roach on the Burnham side of the Crouch. I used Rag/Squid/Mackerel in various combinations.

My tan is looking good, even if my freezer is empty of fish :D

TF.
Any idea how you get to the sea wall threre as I used rd next to the cottages but a guy pointed out that it was a private road and I couldnt use it. Although I was very polite and asked if I could seek permission (he said no), I was deeply gutted as that was one of my fav spots, even if only to sit on the sea wall geting a tan whilst feeding he odd crab. (did have a small bass the other week)
Does the public right of way situation apply as there is some great coastline there that the public cannot seem to acess without a major hike?

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

there is a maze of public footpaths and rights of way through burnham marshes. however as you say its a bit of a hike..........the only way forward is a key at about 25 pound from tony ponder at dammerwick farm, marsh road b-o-c which is part of strutt and parker farms. worth while if you intend to fish a few times...............good luck

SUFC

Post by SUFC »

I am thinking about fishing the southside of the Crouch next weekend, and will probably use the float and king rag method mentioned earlier. Has anyone had any luck spinning in the crouch?

threefields

Post by threefields »

I've often wondered about the Southside (Wallasea Island) of the Crouch, heard various bits of info from locals that it's meant to be good or at least better than the North (Burnham) side of the river.

I purchased an Ordnance Survey map (explorer series) No: 176 which covers the area Southend to Maldon + everything East. It has all the footpaths etc...

Often wondered about spinning for Bass to, any ideas anyone? got to be worth a try, I'm fed-up of feeding the crabs :D

TF.

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

threefields wrote:I've often wondered about the Southside (Wallasea Island) of the Crouch, heard various bits of info from locals that it's meant to be good or at least better than the North (Burnham) side of the river.

I purchased an Ordnance Survey map (explorer series) No: 176 which covers the area Southend to Maldon + everything East. It has all the footpaths etc...

Often wondered about spinning for Bass to, any ideas anyone? got to be worth a try, I'm fed-up of feeding the crabs :D

TF.
Let us know how you get on mate?

Cheers macer

threefields

Post by threefields »

macer wrote:Let us know how you get on mate?

Cheers macer
Hiya,

I was kinda looking towards you "seasoned" sea fishers for a bit of help/guidance. I've only been fishing for 13mths, and had a long lay-off over winter/spring.

At the end of the day I ask everyone who claims to fish the Crouch for their views/tips etc, and so far I've tried most baits, even some of my own!It would appear whilst their are fish in the Crouch, they are palying hard to get! Storys of a few catches, but no real concrete proof! I've taken to fishing the flood tide, because I'm fed-up of getting weeded-out on the ebb tide.

Someone mentioned dawn/dusk are a good time (tides permitting)?Spinning for Bass might be the way to go? Certainly save a bit of bait lol, just need a few pointers on set-up etc.....

TF.

Wattsy

Post by Wattsy »

threefields wrote:
macer wrote:Let us know how you get on mate?

Cheers macer
Hiya,

I was kinda looking towards you "seasoned" sea fishers for a bit of help/guidance. I've only been fishing for 13mths, and had a long lay-off over winter/spring.

At the end of the day I ask everyone who claims to fish the Crouch for their views/tips etc, and so far I've tried most baits, even some of my own!It would appear whilst their are fish in the Crouch, they are palying hard to get! Storys of a few catches, but no real concrete proof! I've taken to fishing the flood tide, because I'm fed-up of getting weeded-out on the ebb tide.

Someone mentioned dawn/dusk are a good time (tides permitting)?Spinning for Bass might be the way to go? Certainly save a bit of bait lol, just need a few pointers on set-up etc.....

TF.
Look it up on the internet.

You're not asking anyone about the crouch now; you're asking how to spin. Next post you'll be asking how to tie the spinner on.

You've already been given good advice about fishing the Crouch in this thread so stop whinging and go and learn something for yourself.

The seasoned anglers on here didn't have the luxury of internet forums when learning angling - they managed it with books and observation so you can too.

This is the internet - nobody owes you anything so don't expect the world to do everything for you. Everything you could possibly want to know about fishing the crouch is contained on this forum if you take the time and trouble to look for it.

threefields

Post by threefields »

Cool yer jets dude! If this is how you treat other sea-fishers when they ask for some advice, then please don't bother responding to my post!

(A) I ain't whinging!
(B) Someone mentioned South Fambridge, which is totally in the opposite direction to where I choose to fish & on the oppsite side of the Crouch!.
(C) Their is more than 1 type of spniner on the market.
(D) Part of "life-learning" is asking other peoples advice help/tips etc, if you don't ask you don't get, and in your case I don't want it!

Now back on topic please............

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Guys, Guys please keep it above the belt this is a friendly site >:D<

Ive fished North & South Fambride, Tried marine worms, fresh fish, squid and crab to no avail!! Ive had hooks stripped bare in seconds and ive had the bait come back completly un-touched. I have spoken to people i work with who have said it has fished well I have also seen posts on other forums that point to some decent Bass there. Unfortunately everty time i go there I blank!!! I

It's not so seasoned angler its more to do with right time right place there I think lol.

Cheers macer :D