Steeple

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
baggybob

Steeple

Post by baggybob »

Hi everyone, just a quick couple of questions. Has anyone tried fishing down near the yacht club at Steeple off Stansgate Road? Someone told me that it was private down there so I just wanted to know if that was the case or is there any way you can get down to the sea wall there to fish?
Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'm fairly new to the area.
Thanks in advance, Bob

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

not been there myself but the grapevine says its good in that part of the blackwater at the moment

threefields

Post by threefields »

mogg

Post by mogg »

baggybob thats the marconi yacht club there, they are not most friendly of people in my experience.
Every time I have fished there on a flood tide it has been near impossible, due to the amount of weed. When we did connect it was only school bass.

I hope this doesnt dampen your enthusiasm.

Eddie

t3ppy

Post by t3ppy »

Hi bob, i fish steeple most weeks and it can be very productive for bass but havent had anything sizeable up there so far this year.

i usually drive up stansgate road about 3/4 of the way up and park in the large layby on the right hand side then go the rest of the way on foot. go straight through the sailing club as the public right of way follows the road straight through but stay on the road. I've never had any probs with the yachty crowd befor.

when u get to the seawall turn left and set up where the fence cuts the footpath off (30-40 yards) as any further is tony benn's (mp) place.

cast at a 45 degree angle to your left about 60-80 yards using a 4foot trace with running bomb ledger on the outgoing tide, using large peelers (dont bother with rag as u will only get schoolies) and let the lead swing round with the tide in an arch. the bass will sit in the slow running water and dart out into the fast water as food passes (you can clearly see where the water changes) but watch out there is alot of large rocks in the water from the dismantled abbey so quite a few snags there.

hope this helps and maybe i will see you up there soon

tight lines
chris

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

t3ppy wrote:Hi bob, i fish steeple most weeks and it can be very productive for bass but havent had anything sizeable up there so far this year.

i usually drive up stansgate road about 3/4 of the way up and park in the large layby on the right hand side then go the rest of the way on foot. go straight through the sailing club as the public right of way follows the road straight through but stay on the road. I've never had any probs with the yachty crowd befor.

when u get to the seawall turn left and set up where the fence cuts the footpath off (30-40 yards) as any further is tony benn's (mp) place.

cast at a 45 degree angle to your left about 60-80 yards using a 4foot trace with running bomb ledger on the outgoing tide, using large peelers (dont bother with rag as u will only get schoolies) and let the lead swing round with the tide in an arch. the bass will sit in the slow running water and dart out into the fast water as food passes (you can clearly see where the water changes) but watch out there is alot of large rocks in the water from the dismantled abbey so quite a few snags there.

hope this helps and maybe i will see you up there soon

tight lines
chris
Thats a craking bit of info there well done mate =D>

baggybob

Post by baggybob »

Excellent info. I hope to try and get up there soon ( work permitting). I hope I do catch you up there, many thanks