Southend Pier 16/08/09

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
timmus

Southend Pier 16/08/09

Post by timmus »

Fished from 9 am to 12.45 pm, 3 of us fishing with 2/3 hook flappers, 4 rods out spare rod dropped down the side of pier with big bait in case of bass, baits where lug, mackerel, squid...blanked

Pier head was full of eastern europians fishing, some where using feathers etc and as far as I know no one caught anything not even a bite

Fished a few thames marks over the last month or so and can honestly say I have never known the fishing to be so poor

Tim

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

HIYA TIMMUS,

I'll drink to that ,it has been quite a disappointment this summer!! i also have been amazed at the lack of fish,however it's not just in the Thames estuary or even the South East it seems to be like it all over, where have all the Flatties gone ? where are the Mr Mackerals????, but keep your "pecker up" Cod are on their way or so i'm told..................................the jury is out !!!!!!, best of luck in the future...............JOLI

threefields

Re: Southend Pier 16/08/09

Post by threefields »

[quote=]Fished a few thames marks over the last month or so and can honestly say I have never known the fishing to be so poor[/quote]

You should try fishing the Crouch then, I must be well into double figures the trips I've had with a "nil" score. Tried fishing the flood tide, ebb tide, bit of both, tried dawn and dusk, same result "ziltch".

Been as far as Holliwell Point, and up river as far as Bridgemarsh Island. The wildlife suggests their are fish about, plenty of mullet giving it the one-finger salute.

Still, the tans comming on a treat :D Am I fed-up? Not in the least.....Just more determined.

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

The Summer fishing species hunt is now on its arse...... :(( :(( Long live the 2009/2010 Cod run WOOOOOOO HOOOOO <:-P <:-P .

Its a bit premature i know but the winter species should start making an apperance Sept/Oct and things really start to pick up again.

Keep at it guys ;)

threefields

Post by threefields »

I know giving-up is NOT an option for moi.

As long as the tides are right, and my workload permits I'll be on the Crouch seawall somewhere between Holliwell Point & Bridgemarsh Island.

Be nice to catch something soon, my misses is begining to think I'm having an affair as I dissapear for hours, and come back empty-handed.

mulletman
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletman »

Apart from the showing of a few Mackerel and the schoolies, fishing on the Pier this year has been quite poor, apart from the Mullet. These are easily the best fish now caught off there, and they are showing well now. They will be around normally til the end of September, early October best. They average between 3-5lb. If you fancy a session on there for them, drop me a PM and i will gladly meet up with you and show you how to catch them.

Tight Lines. Cheers.

Phil.