Freshwater And Saltwater

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi all just wondered if any one else saw the matt hayes fishing programe where he and mick brown where fishing in denmark i think it was where they where catching roach and perch in fall salt and not beakesh water or at least thats what he said so if that was the case hows that ill try and see if i can find out what one of his prpgrames it was and let you no
ps i defo did see this
steve

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

I do remeber something along that lines, although it was saltwater the fresh water fish were being targetted.

I can't remember which of the series from Matt it was but definately remember something along those lines.

Did they not have Pike there as well

Cabbus

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi cabrat yes i think your right about the pike
my point is why dident the fish die if fresh water fish cant live in salt water
i supose this may go on and on like what came first the chickhen or the egg
steve

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

You are perfectly correct about fishing for Pike in saltwater. There are saltwater Pike species which unsurprisingly live in saltwater. Zoom down the minimum size limit for Danish fish and you will find both saltwater and freshwater species, with differing size limits.
http://www.visitthy.dk/NR/rdonlyres/0E2 ... ure_uk.pdf

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

Sliding off at a tangent, are you aware that some saltwater species require freshwater to even exsist. Most widely known of British species is the Tope. Without a freshwater input these sporting sharks don't pup. This is why the big gravid female Tope are caught in the vicinity of freshwater input such as nearby estuary outlets.

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

very interesting indeed, so much information is being found by everyone,

what a great bunch of lads we have all trying to help each others understanding,

on a quick note cod can live in brackish water,

cheers :)

coachga

Post by coachga »

Following on from my previous post whilst sitting in leafy hertfordshire with over 9 inches of drifting snow up against my tackle shed ! My thoughts are with the amount of fresh water the snow melt will bring. My interest in brackish water started during my time in Florida when it never ceased to amaze me the variety of fish species i came across in the channels and backwaters. Recent TV shows illustrate the tolerance of certain species, even the Bull Shark which is now known to tolerate high levels of freshwater, quite possibly as previous post states to create the breeding environment.
I recall the Matt Hayes show where they where "jigging" for Perch in saltwater.
I have caught "sea" species in the Thames around Richmond - Flounder, I have also caught freshwater species whilst fishing off Chatam pier - 3lb bream on lugworm and next cast a pouting. Also for those of you who know the backwaters of Walton on Naze, near to tichmarsh marina i spent a day catching eels and perch - I was astounded. In my marine studies it is fairly clear cut that snow melt and heavy rain can adversely effect estuary fishing through salinity changes if the area is not used to such climatic changes. It is also known that fish and through evolution and adaptation can tolerate varying degrees of salinity - if exposed to it enough. What i think this illustrates to us is that we really are privileged to be able to experience such issues through our sport. I am now going to go and stare at my tackle shed or walk the dogs around the local carp syndicate lakes and count bivvies !

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

i think you might be beter of counting iglos
steve

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

:-O :-O ian golds does freshwater shelters now aswell :-O :-O :)) =))

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Cracking read guys, keep it up =D>

conehead
Regular
Regular

Post by conehead »

Loads of great information guys well done :D
Hopeing to get next week on peggy will have to head downriver maybe burrow deeps or pan sands any suggestions :-/

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

the swin maybe, heard reports of cod there but nowhere else

good luck :)

conehead
Regular
Regular

Post by conehead »

Ive sent you a pm codcrazy :D