how much does it cost

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Gillibrand

how much does it cost

Post by Gillibrand »

Hi i am hopeing to buy a boat in winter and the big question how much does it cost??????
:-/
this year i am hopeing to learn how to fish and where on charter boats
i have fished on the blue mink with andy from fleetwood in march also booked 5th may and 15th june

i live in Bolton near Manchester so 40 mins drive to fleetwood / knott end

i know once i bought it and got RYA training and insurance/saftey equipment how much and where is best to launch
thanks Simon

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

you can pick up boats fairly cheaply from any where but once you have spent thousands of pounds doing them up you can sit back look at what you have achieved then think i could have bought a brand new boat and been on the water months ago then you have all the safty gear to buy and if you have a fixed radio fitted you need to go on an expensive course to get a licence to operate it then once your happy you have all the gear and its your first boat you will have no idea how to use it safely so yet another exspensive boat handling course which personally although not leagaly required i think everyone who drives a boat should be made to take as i have seen some nasty accidents over the years by inexperienced owners, once you have got the experience and all the gear your now ready to open your wallet and throw all your money into what all us boat owners call the big hole in the water that you throw money into for very little return lol but other than that all i can say is HAPPY BOATING

Dave :D

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

It looks like if it can be said, it allready has!
I'll only add, this aspect of sea angling doesn't suit everyone. The best advice is to go out with a small boat angler and see if the reality is what you expected. Don't just turn up at the slipway with your rod and butties. Go to the boat owners home and help prepare the vessel for the day. Following your days fishing, return with him and see what's involved in cleaning and engine flushing before the day is finished. These are all aspects that you have to be able to embrace to fully appreciate the experience.
If you are still convinced it's for you, maintain contact with small boat owners and seek their advice before parting with your cash. They know what style of hull is best suited to your local area and what else is required. The boat, engine and trailer are a relatively small part of your overall expenditure.
I'm not trying to put anyone off small boat angling, but, far too many leap in looking through rose tinted glasses and end up selling the outfit within 12 months when they realise the comitment in terms of time and money required to safely run a small sea going vessel.
A good day on your own boat is an experience to relish. Yes it can be demanding, but it's worth it if you are fully committed.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Definition of BOAT is a very expensive hole in the water.

Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

It is just possible to do it on the cheap, my mate and I use a 14ft Portabote with a 6 horse outboard for pottering around the harbours and up to a couple of miles out on good days. However I tend to agree with others that if you want to go seriously off shore, a good skipper is the better option unless money really doesn't matter very much - there probably aren't many of us that fit into that category.

ricksinn
Occasional
Occasional

Post by ricksinn »

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

100% agree with jacko here but im one of the lucky ones that lives 5 mins from the harbour where mine is birthed so i get to use her at least 2-3 times a week

Gillibrand

Post by Gillibrand »

sorry forgot to mention i am an ex boat mechanic (boat centre, Bolton) so servicing cheap
i have owned boats in the past but not for the last 4 years it was a speed boat on a trailer so no mooring fees and had free parking
i will be buying an "ebay project" but i have space and experience to do it up myself
the boat i am looking for is something that i can fish off and also take the family out on rubber rings and skiing so will have decent size engine
i was asking as never moored a boat so was wondering how much and were could it be moored in NW if the boat is to big to comfortably tow (although as a hgv recovery driver the QM2 would be comfy to tow) :D
and if insurance has gone up

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

edit from the above
insurance is from towergate mardon

Gillibrand