Boat for novice - Sunderland

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
frank1978

Boat for novice - Sunderland

Post by frank1978 »

Can anyone recommend a boat that would be suitable for an absolute beginner?

Thinking about going halfies with a pal for some off-shore fishing. I've only really ever freshwater fished in the past but i'm not too fussed about the fishing part of it, just wanna get to sea!

ta in advance

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver »

:D personally i wouldnt even think about buying a boat without any experience as they can be a real nitemare to start off with try ur local charter boats they may seem expensive per trip but in the long run u will save a fortune because u ave maintanance to pay for moooring fees,insurance the cost of all the safety equipment the list goes on .
if u try charter boats n ask the skipper lots of questions maybe even try local boat owners in ur area andask them lots of questions too.
also u need 2 ave good mechanical skills because they r not like a car if they break down u cant pushthem to the side of the road.
please take my advice as they r a very expensive hobby ,ur hand is always in ur pocket.
also u would need to go through a vhf course,and a basic powerboat course would be advisable(more expense)
SPEAKING FROM 20 YRS EXPERIENCE.
screemin reels.
whitby.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Definition of a boat is an expensive hole in the water
Cheers
keith :D :D

frank1978

Post by frank1978 »

Thanks fellas

you've dented my enthusiasm somewhat but not entirely. Perhaps a trip down the marina is the best next step,

thanks very much for the advice,

Frank

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver »

:D no worries frank but tread wi caution as there is some rubbish out there if u decide to buy and u need someone to have a look around any boats for u just let me know as im only in gateshead,only problem is i aint got transport.
whitby

Bayrunner

Post by Bayrunner »

rabbi2 wrote:Definition of a boat is an expensive hole in the water
Cheers
keith :D :D
...or should that be hole in the bottom???

A couple of weeks ago I managed to get out midweek, and was approached by a couple of guys who had a rather tatty Dory tied up on the pontoon...

They looked into my boat and commented that mine had a plug in the back like theirs.... Did mine leak water... because theirs was filling up....

It turned out that this was their first trip in a boat they had bought cheap on EBay and hadnt done anything to it... and there were clearly holes in the bottom as within ten mins of launching there was already four inches of water in the bottom.

Moral of the story??? If you are inexperienced and dont know what you are looking at... avoid cheap boats like the plague!

Another guy I came across a few years ago had decided he would save a few quid... bought the boat reasonably... but didnt buy a radio.. anchor... outboard...

I actually met him about two miles off Exmouth, drifting helplessly south in an offshore wind, having exhausted himself trying to row against it. Before long he would have been in some fairly nasty water for a small 10ft rowing boat.

Moral of this story? Get yourself properly equipped, and preferably trained as well.

SeaSickSmiffy

Re: Boat for novice - Sunderland

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »