first time bass fishing on boat

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
maff99

first time bass fishing on boat

Post by maff99 »

hi all.after years of hunting these silver bars from the shore im heading out on the nik i lou soon for my very first time at bass fishing on a boat.what i was hoping for is if you guys have any hints and tips for me eg how its done
any help greatly appreciated
tight lines

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I still recall a wonderful bass session on a wreck many years ago which my pro skipper at the time took half a dozen of us to. Most of us were fishing with live sand eel on snoods around 5 or 6 ft long but the guy who took the most bass that day was using a yellow six inch rubber eel which was obviously fluttering in the tide. When the tide stopped the fish stopped too, even for the live eels - just as the Skip had forecast. So there ya go:-
Tide current required and eels on longish snoods; rig is simply a 6 to 8oz sinker (depending on conditions) hung on a french boom by means of a paper clip. A PAPER CLIP!???? Yes, because it acts as rotten bottom if the sinker gets trapped in the wreck and you don't lose the fish.

maff99

Post by maff99 »

excellent thanks for the reply. one more question do you need to cast away from the boat or just "plop" it over
thanks again

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I'd go along with eccles - a flowing trace, 6 ft or so; but in moderate tides a 2oz lead is adequate, or even lighter. I know a skipper who fishes 1/2 oz and catches a lot of bass. Simple traces with sandeels are generally the best, but if they're not available, articificials can work well sometimes. No need to cast away from the boat; lower it down and you can let line spill away from the boat as it drifts in the tide.