Which line to use

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
pancho

Which line to use

Post by pancho »

I'm new to boat fishing and have bought myself a rod i already have a reel Abu 7500 and will be fishing 90% of the time out of Dover for Cod, Bass Markrels ect my question is what line do I use 20 30 40 50 lb breaking strain mono or braid.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Braid every time for me as pound for pound it is much thinner than mono so less tidal resistance. 30lb breaking strain should cope with most situations but heavier line if wreck fishing. Good choice of reel I have 2 of them.
Cheers
keith :D :D
Last edited by rabbi2 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pjs

Post by pjs »

Agree with Rabbi, you should put on rubbing leader of mono as braid is vulnerable to waer and tear. 30lb braid is a good general purpose line. 20lb would be ok for bass and mackeral. If going for bigger stuff and wrecking I would scale everything up to the 50lb mark.

Peter

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Just a recap on your post I would recomend Ron Thompson Cable Braid and for wreck fishing I use 80lb braid.
Cheers
keith :D :D

pancho

Post by pancho »

Thanks everyone I decided to use 30lb braid so I've just put it on the reel all i have to do next is get the line wet i can't wait

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad »

for most of my wreck fishing i use 12lb class gear with 20lb spiderwire which i know alot of people will propberbly say im fishing too light but i find it more fun than just heaving fish up on 50lb gear

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

As always, it depends on the kind of fishing you do. Drifting for bass you might fish 15lb mono, but fishing biggish leads in strong tides braid might be a better choice.