Boat Work

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Seasurfer
Occasional
Occasional

Boat Work

Post by Seasurfer »

A few weeks ago I posted a thread about hoping to buy a boat in some shape or form. After realising that my budget simply would spread to a "proper" fishing boat, I settled for a 10ft clinker dighy, which I hope to use in the local rivers (don't worry, I have all the apropriate saftey gear lined up).

However, the boat itself could do with a little cosmetic work, with some fibreglass patching needed sanding down and a new coat of paint.

I would really apreciate any advice on how to go about this. Is there a particular paint that I should use, or a partiocular technique used to sand down any rough areas. Any advice would be greatfully received, as I am completly new to any of this kind of work! :)

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

for a small boat that your only using for river fishing i wouldnt got to the expence of using marine paint on it i would just use exterior gloss as most commercial boat owners use it, as for the fiber glassing its an easy job to do just buy a kit from your local car accesory shop and follow the instructions

Dave :D

Seasurfer
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Seasurfer »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad you mentioned not needed marine paint as I've just had a look at the price of it!!!! Hope you don't mind me picking your brains a bit more here, but the problem is not so much that I need to apply more fibreglass, but that the existing patches are rough and could do with being smoothed or filled in somehow. However, my boating friend warned me that sanding down fibreglass can be tricky to do without ripping the patch out. Also, the previous owner has a applied a thin layer of paint, which I assume would need to be removde before applying any filler to the patches. Thanks for the advice, it is much apreciated!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

If you are worried about going through the existing patch then perhaps the wisest move would be to build up over the existing patch from the inside of the boat. I bought a boat years ago in very poor condition and the only way to do all the work required was by this method otherwise I would have ended up with a cullinder or a seive lol
Cheers
keith :D :D

Seasurfer
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Seasurfer »

Thanks for the advice, boat restoration in progress!!!! :) :)
Last edited by Seasurfer on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

if the fiberglass is rough then sand it back with rough sandpaper the apply marine filler over the top sand it back to a smooth finish then paint over it

Dave :D

Seasurfer
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Seasurfer »

Great advice jacko! Also, how would I go about redoing the inside of the boat, as some of the paint is flaking (you can see the fibreglass underneath) and there are further rough fibreglass patching? I've looked all over the internet, and it appears that I will need to wash and sand down completly, before applying loads of different resins and paints. Is this correct, and if so, what would you guys recommend for the different chemicals. Of course, if its as simple as applying two or three coats of pait directly on to the bare fibreglass, then so much the better (but obivously I want to make this the best job I can!). Once again, I thank you for you help, its invaluable to a novice like me! :D :) :D